Cleveland's first Lutheran high school was founded in 1948. The
school was located near Cleveland State University. The school was one
of many buildings torn down in the summer of 1958 to make way for
construction of the I-90 Innerbelt.
The Lutheran community subsequently made a decision to build two
Lutheran high schools, one in Rocky River and one in Cleveland Heights.
The new Lutheran High School East was still under construction in the
Fall of 1958 so classes for the 1958-59 school year were held at Park
Synagogue in Cleveland Heights. Lutheran High School East's new building
(across from Severance Center) opened in September, 1959.
Throughout the years, Lutheran High School East has always
maintained a Christ-centered environment, where God's Word is taught,
prayer is an everyday practice and over 95% of the seniors go to college
in a typical year. The influence of Lutheran High School East students
does not end following their schooling, however, as graduates have gone
on to distinguish themselves professionally in such fields as the arts,
medicine, law, religion, business, education, and the sciences.
During Lutheran High School East's first 19 years, enrollment
ranged from 200 students to a peak of 435 students during the 1970-71
school year. Over the past 30 years enrollment has averaged around 150
students. These students have continuously produced outstanding
accomplishments. While the media has focused on its many athletic
victories, the school community has also been blessed by student
accomplishments in other areas as well, including the Fine Arts.
Lutheran High School East celebrates its Christian religious
diversity. Students from a vast array of Christian denominations attend
the school and grow in their faith during their years in attendance.
While Lutheran theology is clearly taught, the greater Christian
community is uplifted as an excellent choice for Christian secondary
education is made available for all students who desire a closer
relationship with their Lord.
Lutheran High School East looks forward to a vibrant future even as
it celebrates its 50 years of existence on Mayfield Road. We seek the
Lord's continued blessing on our school, our alumni and current
students, and our extended school community.